Skip to main content

Anniversary

40 years ago today, when I was 21, I sat in a back room at the Assembly of God, Lower Hutt, and was coached through the Sinners Prayer by a glittery eyed young man. I was raised a Methodist but from the time I could express my own opinion I was a fervent little atheist. My atheism was my metaphorical way of addressing my father issues, and was therefore keenly held and virulently expressed, but since about the beginning of 1972 , I became less and less certain about my professed worldview. I met some fairly impressive people who held alternative views and who were able to meet, absorb and gently return my materialist certainties. Like many in my generation I had the occasional experiment with chemically altering my consciousness and in the cold light of the day after, these experiences caused me some philosophical doubts: what,  exactly,  was the nature of this sense experience which I ardently argued to be the only source of knowledge? And, crucially,  I had a pivotal conversation with Valerie Underhill, who was later to become my mother in law. 

She arranged to see me. She sat with me in the drawing room of 80 Bealey Ave. She listened while I rehearsed my frayed certainties. Then for an hour she told me of Jesus and how much he loved me. It wasn't apologetics or doctrine. It was the deep confession of someone who knew something and whose life showed that she did. Of course I could not allow myself to believe anything so seriously uncool as Christianity but somewhere deeper than the the little sliding tile puzzle of my own logic, I knew she was telling me the truth.

So, about two months later I was in Wellington seeing her daughter. Clemency took me and my friend Alden to the church she had been attending lately and I was NOT impressed. The service was long and filled with people doing odd things. The sermon was about, and I am not making this up, how classical music was of the devil and if you listen to it you are risking hellfire. At the end of the service the pastor invited those who wanted to give their lives to Christ to come forward, and to my horror both Alden and Clemency went to the front of the church. I stood to go. I intended to leave, catch the ferry and head back home to Christchurch leaving these idiots to their own devices; but when I reached the aisle, instead of turning left for the door and home, I turned right and also went to the front. Someone led me into a back room. I prayed. And my life changed.

I am not, obviously, still part of the Assemblies of God. I moved over a period of years through various Pentecostal churches until I reached a place of equilibrium in the Anglican communion. I have undergone many, many conversions since then and now find it hard to categorise myself, but I suppose I might be called a Progressive or Evolutionary Christian. And today, I have been remembering that night, and signing that little card, which I did at about the same time of the evening on August 5 1973 as I am writing this, 40 years later. Mahatma Gandhi said Faith is not a thing to be grasped, it is a state to grow into and he is right. On that night I didn't, as I imagined at the time, pass from one state of being to another. Rather I underwent, for the first time but certainly not the last, the experience of dying to self. I knew the transitory and fallible nature of all I thought and all I experienced and recognised that I was never as I so fondly imagined, the master of my own destiny. I gave up the pretense and handed the whole sorry bundle of my own being over to whatever it was that the young man was proclaiming; or rather, over to the loving reality of whatever it was that filled Valerie Underhill. And I was met and answered and transformed.

Behind the metaphorical system of Pentecostalism is a deep and eternal truth - the same truth in fact that lies behind the metaphorical system of Progressive or Evolutionary Christianity, which is why I can see and accept the series of  transitions by which I have moved from my then to my now. I'm not sure what the pastor of the AOG would have thought of me if he could have seen me this morning, sitting on my prayer stool in silence with a great black cloak wrapped around me. But I paused for a while and thought of 40 years. It's a good Biblical span. I looked around me at my study. Everything in there is less than 40 years old. A huge percentage of the things that surround me are gifts - including in a way the doctoral certificate and the deed of ordination to the episcopacy hanging on my wall. All has come to me in acts of grace and love. Everything around me has a story, and many of those stories have their genesis in those few minutes spent in the back room of the AOG. I worked into my silence deeply, warmly, profoundly grateful for the path I have walked, and for the one who has unfailingly walked it with me.

Comments

Elaine Dent said…
Good memories and reflection. Thank you. The threads of our journeys of faith, woven into something bigger, are such a surprise. How did I get here? we wonder. Mystery. Delightful grace.
Alden Smith said…
Congratulations on your 40th anniversary. I remember those days well and the changes and new directions they wrought. As you have found, I too recognise that "dying to self" is at the very heart of finding any sort of answer to the big questions we ask ourselves.
Indeed the goal of transcending the self is at the heart of all the great religions of the world.

I have experienced something else over the years that is beyond mere words (as most certainly most people have) that also provides an answer of sorts. It is the sense of great wonder that pervades our human experience (high stars, sailing, music, poetry, big trees too huge to hug properly and love.)

A couple of weeks ago I held in my arms our first grandchild, a boy, a common human experience that goes beyond words - in that moment I felt I was holding 'meaning' itself.

Good luck my dear friend for the next 40 years. If we both make it we will be able to compare our respective congratulatory letters from good King George.

Alden
Anonymous said…
born again.
It is indeed as Merv says: awe-some.
Kelvin, it is a blessing to be able to share some of that journey with you.
God bless, Stu.

now turn that classical music off.
Anonymous said…
"Behind the metaphorical system of Pentecostalism is a deep and eternal truth - the same truth in fact that lies behind the metaphorical system of Progressive or Evolutionary Christianity"

I went to an Assembly of God church 40 years ago as well before I ended up (rather more quickly) in Anglicanism, via the Baptists, and I do not think then or now they would called themselves 'a metaphorical system' nor would they have much in common, beyond some of the language, with 'Progressive or Evolutionary Christianity'. We knew all about Lloyd Geering and Ewing Stevens then, and both Pentecostalists and orthodox Anglicans were well aware that such people could use orthodox language but mean something entirely different. The AoG people I knew did not think the Virgin Birth, Resurrection of Christ, Ascension and Second Coming were anything but literal facts. They may have been cultural clodhoppers, but they knew the difference between Christ and Buddha. Christianity is disappearing from the lives of most New Zealanders, and perhaps most of the institutional churches will have succumbed to necrosis in the next 20 years, but authentic orthodox faith will still exist.
Kelvin Wright said…
Indeed, the Pentecostal churches I attended thought Noah's flood and the Garden of Eden were literal facts, and that the pages of Daniel referred to Henry Kissinger. These were believed with as much fervour as the resurrection and the second coming. The rapture was not only an accepted fact, but intensely argued schools existed, divided on the certainties of when where and how it was going to occur. Some doctrines, such as that all music in a minor key was of the devil, or that barcodes were the mark of the beast, or that owls and peacocks were evil, or that to make the sign of the cross was to invoke the spirit of transubstantiation (all taught to me at some stage or other) were sort of optional.

My trouble then, was that the people I was surrounded with were trapped in their literalism. They could see one type of truth and one only, and were therefore stuck in the same cognitive bind as atheists.People couldn't, as Karen Armstrong has analysed it, distinguish Logos from Mythos, and I simply could't stay there.

Language is by its very nature metaphorical. Which means that all knowledge communicated in language is, in the final analysis metaphorical - including of course all religious knowledge. The problems with the sorts of church I left is a complete inability to understand that the metaphor and the thing referred to by the metaphor are quite different and that some of the realities towards which we grope with our theological language will forever lie outside of our ability to grasp and understand them. To "use orthodox language but mean something entirely different" is of course inevitable. We, all of us, ALL of us do precisely that, only most of us don't notice that we're doing it and deeply resent the questions that might show that we do - hence the deep suspicion in fundamentalist circles of academic theology.

What the future of the church is is anybody's guess and I couldn't share your certainty as to what "orthodox" Christianity will look like in a couple of decades

I've never, incidentally met anyone who confused Christ with the Buddha in my current Church or my old one. I suspect that I might know more than the average punter, and certainly more than most Pentecostals exactly what the differences are.
Unknown said…
Congratulations and thanks for sharing this Kelvin. We never know where God is leading us. Do we turn left or do we turn right. God's will is stronger than anything in this world, especially stronger than us. Our relationship with Christ is based on trust and faith, to listen, to see and for us to hand our lives over for his service. Our God has a plan for all of us as individuals and we need to trust God with this. Thanks again Kelvin for your words.

Popular posts from this blog

Camino, by David Whyte

This poem captures it perfectly Camino. The way forward, the way between things, the way already walked before you, the path disappearing and re-appearing even as the ground gave way beneath you, the grief apparent only in the moment of forgetting, then the river, the mountain, the lifting song of the Sky Lark inviting you over the rain filled pass when your legs had given up, and after, it would be dusk and the half-lit villages in evening light; other people's homes glimpsed through lighted windows and inside, other people's lives; your own home you had left crowding your memory as you looked to see a child playing or a mother moving from one side of a room to another, your eyes wet with the keen cold wind of Navarre. But your loss brought you here to walk under one name and one name only, and to find the guise under which all loss can live; remember you were given that name every day along the way, remember you were greeted as such, and you neede

En Hakkore

In the hills up behind Ranfurly there used to be a town, Hamilton, which at one stage was home to 5,000 people. All that remains of it now is a graveyard, fenced off and baking in the lonely brown hills. Near it, in the 1930s a large Sanitorium was built for the treatment of tuberculosis and other respiratory ailments. It was a substantial complex of buildings with wards, a nurses hostel, impressive houses for the manager and superintendent and all the utility buildings needed for such a large operation. The treatment offered consisted of isolation, views and weather. Patients were exposed to the air, the tons of it which whistled past, often at great speed, the warmth of the sun and the cold. They were housed in small cubicles opening onto huge glassed verandas where they cooked in the summer and froze in the winter and often, what with the wholesome food and the exercise, got better. When advances in antibiotics rendered the Sanitorium obsolete it was turned into a Borstal and the

Kindle

 Living as I do in a place where most books have to come a long way in an aeroplane, reading is an expensive addiction, and of course there is always the problem of shelf space. I have about 50 metres of shelving in my new study, but it is already full and there is not a lot of wall space left; and although it is great insulation, what is eventually going to happen to all that paper? I doubt my kids will want to fill their homes with old theological works, so most of my library is eventually going to end up as egg cartons. Ebooks are one solution to book cost and storage issues so I have been  using them for a while now, but their big problem has been finding suitable hardware to read them on.  I first read them on the tiny screens of Ipaqs and they were quite satisfactory but the wretchedness of Microsoft Reader and its somewhat arbitrary copyright protection system killed the experience entirely. On Palm devices they were OK except the plethora of competing and incompatible formats

Ko Tangata Tiriti Ahau

    The Christmas before last our kids gave us Ancestry.com kits. You know the deal: you spit into a test tube, send it over to Ireland, and in a month or so you get a wadge of paper in the mail telling you who you are. I've never, previously, been interested in all that stuff. I knew my forbears came to Aotearoa in the 1850's from Britain but I didn't know from where, exactly. Clemency's results, as it turns out, were pretty interesting. She was born in England, but has ancestors from various European places, and some who are Ngāti Raukawa, so she can whakapapa back to a little marae called Kikopiri, near Ōtaki. And me? It turns out I'm more British than most British people. Apart from a smattering of Norse  - probably the result of some Viking raid in the dim distant past - all my tūpuna seem to have come from a little group of villages in Nottinghamshire.  Now I've been to the UK a few times, and I quite like it, but it's not home: my heart and soul belon

Return to Middle Earth

 We had a flood, a couple of weeks back, and had to move all the stuff out of the spare bedroom, including  the contents of two floor to ceiling book cases. Shoving the long unopened copies of Sartor Resartus and An Introduction to Byron into cartons, I came upon my  copy of The Lord of the Rings . Written in the flyleaf are the dates of its many readings, the last one being when I read it aloud to Catherine, when she was about 10 or 11, well over 20 years ago. The journey across Middle Earth took Catherine and me the best part of a year, except for the evening when we followed Frodo and Sam across the last stretches of Mordor and up Mount Doom, when we simply couldn't stop, and sat up reading until 11.00 pm, on a school night.  My old copy is a paperback, the same edition that every card carrying baby boomer has somewhere on their shelves. The glue has dried and hardened. The cover and many of the pages have come loose. I was overcome with the urge to read it again, but this old