Skip to main content

Order of St. Luke

Part of the farm attached to Living Springs campsite. I brought a camera but didn't use it for any of the more typical bits of the week's activities. This shot will have to do. 
This past week was spent at Totara Springs, near Matamata, attending the international conference of The Order of St. Luke. I was there to deliver a keynote address and lead a workshop on meditation. The OSL has as its raison d'etre the promotion of the ministry of healing, an aim with which I have developed a considerable sympathy over the past few years. I had been a member many years ago, but let my membership lapse. Back then, in my thirties, I had found my fellow members to be a decade or two older than me and their ways of doing things a little too highly regulated for my taste. When Archbishop David Moxon moved to Rome and could no longer attend the international conference I agreed to take his place in the programme. Coincidentally, the invitation to attend and speak came at about the same time that Bill Sim was putting effort into reinvigorating the local branch, and with Bill's enthusiastic encouragement I had become peripherally involved once more. 

I arrived in Matamata wondering how much had changed in the OSL in the 20 or so years since my departure, and it seemed on first glance, not much. I play a little private game in most Anglican meetings: I count the number of people in the room younger than myself. No matter what the size of the meeting, I seldom have to use the fingers of both hands, and the first night's informal gathering was no exception. In fact that first night I didn't have to use the fingers of even one hand. This was one of those cases where first impressions were more than a little deceiving. Things have changed in the OSL and I suspect they are about to change a whole lot more.

After the opening pleasantries I was first up. I spoke of an incident that had happened in our family some years ago which had caused me to retain an unshakeable belief in the power of God to heal. I spoke of my own current illness and of the difference between healing and cure. I spoke of the link between body mind and spirit as three interrelated dimensions of our being and of our temporary presence in this world as part of a greater scheme that God seems to have for the universe. It seemed to be received well.

It was a pleasure to be in the audience for the other conference speakers. Dr. Jack Sheffield from Texas spoke about his work in healing centres and of the Glory of God. He is a lively personality and a very entertaining man but he showed the depth and vulnerability that can only come from someone who has faced and integrated personal loss. Dr. Colin Campbell from Canada soundly addressed the link between faith and science. He gave a brief history of the development of scientific thought in the West, linking it to the development of Western Christian thought, and outlined a metaphysics which can accommodate both the physics he teaches in his professional life and the the healing ministry his practices and promotes.

There was the usual conference round of workshops and discussion groups and worship services, but for me the most revelatory part was meeting the other participants. As the main body of participants arrived the next day I did find a few - well, actually quite a few - people younger than myself, some of them much younger. Regardless of age I found in almost every conversation people who have struggled with their own issues of health and wholeness but who despite this - or perhaps because of this - are deeply committed to developing the theology and practice of divine healing. I had some powerful and moving encounters with some very special people. Amongst the younger attendees in particular I found an urgency to connect their faith with what they knew of the workings of people as bodies and minds and spirits.

I was impressed by the growing enthusiasm for establishing  Healing Centres. Jack Sheffield ran a workshop on this way of  opening the ministry of Christian Healing to the general public, and there are already several places in the country where steps are being taken to establish them.

The OSL is reinventing itself and could, over the next few years, be a means by which we can develop a more complete practice of Christian healing than we have hitherto known. I left on Friday and was driven through familiar Waikato countryside to Hamilton airport feeling refreshed encouraged and hopeful.

Comments

Merv said…
Scattered thoughts:
a)re the 'aging' game - your secret seems to be to "keep your youth when all about you are losing theirs";
b)it is a thing most precious to be prayed for by our local OSL chaplain, Rev. Barry & his wife Barbara;
c)ah! Totara Springs. That is a great photo & would like to share it if that's OK. I was a Trustee for several years & have a soft spot for the place.

Popular posts from this blog

Camino, by David Whyte

This poem captures it perfectly Camino. The way forward, the way between things, the way already walked before you, the path disappearing and re-appearing even as the ground gave way beneath you, the grief apparent only in the moment of forgetting, then the river, the mountain, the lifting song of the Sky Lark inviting you over the rain filled pass when your legs had given up, and after, it would be dusk and the half-lit villages in evening light; other people's homes glimpsed through lighted windows and inside, other people's lives; your own home you had left crowding your memory as you looked to see a child playing or a mother moving from one side of a room to another, your eyes wet with the keen cold wind of Navarre. But your loss brought you here to walk under one name and one name only, and to find the guise under which all loss can live; remember you were given that name every day along the way, remember you were greeted as such, and you neede

En Hakkore

In the hills up behind Ranfurly there used to be a town, Hamilton, which at one stage was home to 5,000 people. All that remains of it now is a graveyard, fenced off and baking in the lonely brown hills. Near it, in the 1930s a large Sanitorium was built for the treatment of tuberculosis and other respiratory ailments. It was a substantial complex of buildings with wards, a nurses hostel, impressive houses for the manager and superintendent and all the utility buildings needed for such a large operation. The treatment offered consisted of isolation, views and weather. Patients were exposed to the air, the tons of it which whistled past, often at great speed, the warmth of the sun and the cold. They were housed in small cubicles opening onto huge glassed verandas where they cooked in the summer and froze in the winter and often, what with the wholesome food and the exercise, got better. When advances in antibiotics rendered the Sanitorium obsolete it was turned into a Borstal and the

Kindle

 Living as I do in a place where most books have to come a long way in an aeroplane, reading is an expensive addiction, and of course there is always the problem of shelf space. I have about 50 metres of shelving in my new study, but it is already full and there is not a lot of wall space left; and although it is great insulation, what is eventually going to happen to all that paper? I doubt my kids will want to fill their homes with old theological works, so most of my library is eventually going to end up as egg cartons. Ebooks are one solution to book cost and storage issues so I have been  using them for a while now, but their big problem has been finding suitable hardware to read them on.  I first read them on the tiny screens of Ipaqs and they were quite satisfactory but the wretchedness of Microsoft Reader and its somewhat arbitrary copyright protection system killed the experience entirely. On Palm devices they were OK except the plethora of competing and incompatible formats

Ko Tangata Tiriti Ahau

    The Christmas before last our kids gave us Ancestry.com kits. You know the deal: you spit into a test tube, send it over to Ireland, and in a month or so you get a wadge of paper in the mail telling you who you are. I've never, previously, been interested in all that stuff. I knew my forbears came to Aotearoa in the 1850's from Britain but I didn't know from where, exactly. Clemency's results, as it turns out, were pretty interesting. She was born in England, but has ancestors from various European places, and some who are Ngāti Raukawa, so she can whakapapa back to a little marae called Kikopiri, near Ōtaki. And me? It turns out I'm more British than most British people. Apart from a smattering of Norse  - probably the result of some Viking raid in the dim distant past - all my tūpuna seem to have come from a little group of villages in Nottinghamshire.  Now I've been to the UK a few times, and I quite like it, but it's not home: my heart and soul belon

Return to Middle Earth

 We had a flood, a couple of weeks back, and had to move all the stuff out of the spare bedroom, including  the contents of two floor to ceiling book cases. Shoving the long unopened copies of Sartor Resartus and An Introduction to Byron into cartons, I came upon my  copy of The Lord of the Rings . Written in the flyleaf are the dates of its many readings, the last one being when I read it aloud to Catherine, when she was about 10 or 11, well over 20 years ago. The journey across Middle Earth took Catherine and me the best part of a year, except for the evening when we followed Frodo and Sam across the last stretches of Mordor and up Mount Doom, when we simply couldn't stop, and sat up reading until 11.00 pm, on a school night.  My old copy is a paperback, the same edition that every card carrying baby boomer has somewhere on their shelves. The glue has dried and hardened. The cover and many of the pages have come loose. I was overcome with the urge to read it again, but this old