Skip to main content

Mimesis

Of course I copied this idea from M C Escher. Mimesis. 
Look at two little children playing. By and large the toy that little Alice wants to play with is not the biggest or the prettiest or the sparkliest one in the box; it is the one that Beatrice happens to have right now. So by subterfuge or main force Alice gains control of the coveted toy from Beatrice, and Beatrice, unperturbed grabs something else from the toybox. Alice immediately drops her recently won prize and puts all her efforts into gaining Beatrice's new plaything. All who have children know and despair of this behaviour, but really, it is just the expression of a universal human instinct.

We are born helpless and in the first few years of our life have to acquire an enormous amount of information and learn enough behaviours that we can function in our society. We do this largely, says Rene Girard, by mimesis - that is, miming or copying the people we see around us. There are, of course, a certain number of our behaviours that are purely instinctive, that is, they are hardwired into our brains, but most of the rest are learned; that is to say they are copied. And one of the behaviours that is copied is desire. We learn to like what we see other people like and want what we see other people wanting. There are certain people whose wants and desires we copy more readily than others; these are the prestigious people in our social circle.

Mimetic desire is one of the cohesive forces in any society. The members of a group, whether it is a friendship group or a family or a clan or a political party or a nation are bound together by their shared wants. New members of the group, admitted at childhood or grafted in as adults soon learn by watching what it is that is valued in the group, and by imitating these desires, that is by making these values their very own, integrate themselves as part of the group. In it's crudest form our mimetic desire is manipulated when some movie star is shown to us to be desiring a new brand of milk frother, and suddenly we find within ourselves a growing penchant for cappuccinos. Or when the design of a new flag is made attractive to many because Richie McCaw says how groovy he thinks it is. A fashion industry can't exist without mimetic desire, whether the fashion is in clothes, hairstyles or ideas.

Mimetic desire is a powerful cohesive force. But it is, simultaneously, a powerful deconstructive force because when all members of a group desire certain goods and service and the supply of those goods and services is not infinite, irreconcilable conflict must inevitably arise. And all groups formed around mimetic desire, that is, all groups,  are subject, eventually, to potentially destablising or even fatal conflict. Girard's analysis of the role of mimesis in the formation of all societies, and his analysis of the ways  societies deal with the conflict which is inherent in the very process by which they are formed is key to his theory of the development and social role of religion. It informs his theory of the role of the crucifiction and the resurrection of Christ; a theory I personally find compelling. Over the next few weeks I intend to present that theory in occasional, irregular, small, bite sized chunks, more probably for my benefit than for yours.

Comments

Elaine Dent said…
Well, we are certainly seeing this in our political campaigns. But my next question was going to be how this relates to following Christ? And I think it also relates to congregations and their renewal or decline, so I will stay tuned.
Kelvin Wright said…
For me it has enabled me to make sense - finally! - of the cross. The substitutionary atonement theory and its close relatives present to me a God who is nothing like the powerful and subtle and elegant and deeply loving one who is revealed everywhere in this universe if we take the trouble to look, and is also revealed in the person of Jesus. It helps me to make sense of Jesus who lived out his life not in a fallen universe but in an evolving one.

Popular posts from this blog

How To Walk 800 km

John is just walking the 80 metres back to his bike here, but you get the general drift.  The question I get asked more than any other at the end of the Hikoi is "how are your feet?" It's nice that people care, but my feet have never been an issue on long walks. Good shoes and socks prevent blisters and cushion the effects of long distances on hard surfaces, but I have had other issues. When walking the Camino Santiago knees, Achilles tendons and shin splints have all at one time or another given me trouble. This time round, these have all been fine and I finished feeling as though I could just keep on going indefinitely; to Cape Reinga if needs be. Over the last couple of years I have learned 6 things that have made all the difference. Namely: 1. Footwear. On the Camino I wore walking shoes - Salomon in 2009 and Asics in 2012. A year ago I changed to full walking boots - Salomon Cosmic 2 - and the difference was instant and major. When walking more than 15 minutes...

Why I Hold the Views I Do

St. Hilda's Collegiate School, taken with my phone after a recent meeting. This picture has nothing whatsoever to do with what follows, but I like the interplay of shapes and particularly the shadow on the wall. My mother is a Methodist, liberal in her theological and social opinions. My father was a socialist, just slightly to the left, in his politics, of Karl Marx. My siblings -there are 5 of us- are all bright, eloquent and omnivorous in their consumption of books and other intellectual fodder.  One of my most cherished childhood memories is of mealtimes in our little state house. The food was ingested with copious amounts of spirited, opinionated, clever and sometimes informed debate on whatever subject happened to catch the attention of one of the family that day. Or whatever one of us thought might get a rise out of someone else. So, sex, politics and religion it was then - oh and motorbikes, economics, international relations, demographics, cricket, company ownersh...

I See Satan Fall Like Lightning

It happens sometimes. I have a question or am pondering some conundrum or other and the right book arrives at pretty much the right time. In a session with my supervisor a few months back Paul mentioned an article by Rene Girard, whom I had never heard of. I read the article and over the past month have read two of his books, The Scapegoat and this one. I have another couple sitting on my shelf and they have elbowed all others in my to be read pile out of the way and sit firmly on the top. Girard has pulled a number of threads together for me: he has enabled me to rethink the atonement in a way which is consistent with an evolving Universe: he presents a view of scripture which is again consistent with what I know of science but is also faithful to the Bible as the Word of God; he has given me, for the first time in my life a theology (if that is the right word) of Satan which makes sense to me. Most importantly for me, he is consistent with my own lived experience of God's s...

2 More Years

An autumn leaf, the evidence of the death whereby the grapevine lives and bears fruit There are 31,102 verses in the Bible, or at least in the Protestant version of it which the conservative section of our church recognises. Of these, there are 6 verses which explicitly condemn homosexual practice. The best scholars in the Christian world have pointed out the ambiguity of even these scraps of scripture, but this does not prevent their becoming the basis of an antipathy to contemporary same gender sexuality which I was repeatedly told, during General Synod, was "First Order". I'm not sure what "First Order" means exactly, but I was told that this is a "Salvation Matter". So, presumably, holding a proper view on homosexuality is right up there in importance with belief in the doctrines I would consider foundational for the Christian faith: namely the Holy Trinity, Incarnation and Resurrection. In any event, antipathy to homosexuality has already ...

En Hakkore

In the hills up behind Ranfurly there used to be a town, Hamilton, which at one stage was home to 5,000 people. All that remains of it now is a graveyard, fenced off and baking in the lonely brown hills. Near it, in the 1930s a large Sanitorium was built for the treatment of tuberculosis and other respiratory ailments. It was a substantial complex of buildings with wards, a nurses hostel, impressive houses for the manager and superintendent and all the utility buildings needed for such a large operation. The treatment offered consisted of isolation, views and weather. Patients were exposed to the air, the tons of it which whistled past, often at great speed, the warmth of the sun and the cold. They were housed in small cubicles opening onto huge glassed verandas where they cooked in the summer and froze in the winter and often, what with the wholesome food and the exercise, got better. When advances in antibiotics rendered the Sanitorium obsolete it was turned into a Borstal and...