Skip to main content

Trees

The Two Trees, A poem by W B Yeats, set to music and sung by Loreena McKennitt
I was talking with a colleague the other day, about our shared task, when, in  a kind of  inconsequential aside, she showed me the picture of a tree. She told me it was her favourite tree, in all of Dunedin, and where it grew and why she liked it. Then she asked what my favourite trees were, and I was flummoxed. I love trees and think of myself as a sort of a greenie, but to my own astonishment I could not name one single tree in all our leafy city which stood out for me. So we finished our business quite satisfactorily, she forgetting, probably, that this had ever been part of  our conversation, and me to drive away from her office thinking about her question for the rest of the day. And I have been looking at trees ever since and wondering about ones that  I like and why.

Two trees grew in the Garden of Eden and will grow in the new Eden to which we will one day return. I pray daily on a rug, bought in Jordan, into which is woven the image of the tree of life. We speak of our ancestral trees and the various trees of knowledge. None of us would be alive if it weren't for all the trees industriously performing the chemistry which stores and disposes of CO2 and produces O2 all day and night.  But there's no one tree in our city that acts as a totem to me, and which I pass and note and take pleasure from daily.

But there are some trees which I have photographed over the years, and of which I keep the images because they speak to me.
 This is a photo taken on the first journey I made after my operation for cancer in 2008. I was driving in a snowstorm between Middlemarch and Outram, and saw this tree and the one that follows, both as metaphors for the place in which I  found myself at the time. I have many times since looked for this tree, but never found it. Perhaps it is now gone. Perhaps it has grown and changed unrecognisably.   
 
 This is a tree growing on the headland at Doctor's Point, perhaps my favourite of all Dunedin's many lovely beaches. It looks so lonely and strong and resilient. I have photographed this tree many, many times.
These trees growing in The Pigroot are accidental remainders of some previous attempt at living in this fierce landscape. They have survived long after the building they were planted to shelter.
 A soldier tree. Throughout Northern Otago oak trees were planted in 1919, one near the residence of every man from the district who died in World War 1. Almost all still remain, spread over most of the province, the largest war memorial in the world by area.
A tree growing on the shore of Lake Wanaka

And gathering these, I see their commonality. And am taught by them. And rejoice in them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Walk 800 km

John is just walking the 80 metres back to his bike here, but you get the general drift.  The question I get asked more than any other at the end of the Hikoi is "how are your feet?" It's nice that people care, but my feet have never been an issue on long walks. Good shoes and socks prevent blisters and cushion the effects of long distances on hard surfaces, but I have had other issues. When walking the Camino Santiago knees, Achilles tendons and shin splints have all at one time or another given me trouble. This time round, these have all been fine and I finished feeling as though I could just keep on going indefinitely; to Cape Reinga if needs be. Over the last couple of years I have learned 6 things that have made all the difference. Namely: 1. Footwear. On the Camino I wore walking shoes - Salomon in 2009 and Asics in 2012. A year ago I changed to full walking boots - Salomon Cosmic 2 - and the difference was instant and major. When walking more than 15 minutes...

Why I Hold the Views I Do

St. Hilda's Collegiate School, taken with my phone after a recent meeting. This picture has nothing whatsoever to do with what follows, but I like the interplay of shapes and particularly the shadow on the wall. My mother is a Methodist, liberal in her theological and social opinions. My father was a socialist, just slightly to the left, in his politics, of Karl Marx. My siblings -there are 5 of us- are all bright, eloquent and omnivorous in their consumption of books and other intellectual fodder.  One of my most cherished childhood memories is of mealtimes in our little state house. The food was ingested with copious amounts of spirited, opinionated, clever and sometimes informed debate on whatever subject happened to catch the attention of one of the family that day. Or whatever one of us thought might get a rise out of someone else. So, sex, politics and religion it was then - oh and motorbikes, economics, international relations, demographics, cricket, company ownersh...

I See Satan Fall Like Lightning

It happens sometimes. I have a question or am pondering some conundrum or other and the right book arrives at pretty much the right time. In a session with my supervisor a few months back Paul mentioned an article by Rene Girard, whom I had never heard of. I read the article and over the past month have read two of his books, The Scapegoat and this one. I have another couple sitting on my shelf and they have elbowed all others in my to be read pile out of the way and sit firmly on the top. Girard has pulled a number of threads together for me: he has enabled me to rethink the atonement in a way which is consistent with an evolving Universe: he presents a view of scripture which is again consistent with what I know of science but is also faithful to the Bible as the Word of God; he has given me, for the first time in my life a theology (if that is the right word) of Satan which makes sense to me. Most importantly for me, he is consistent with my own lived experience of God's s...

2 More Years

An autumn leaf, the evidence of the death whereby the grapevine lives and bears fruit There are 31,102 verses in the Bible, or at least in the Protestant version of it which the conservative section of our church recognises. Of these, there are 6 verses which explicitly condemn homosexual practice. The best scholars in the Christian world have pointed out the ambiguity of even these scraps of scripture, but this does not prevent their becoming the basis of an antipathy to contemporary same gender sexuality which I was repeatedly told, during General Synod, was "First Order". I'm not sure what "First Order" means exactly, but I was told that this is a "Salvation Matter". So, presumably, holding a proper view on homosexuality is right up there in importance with belief in the doctrines I would consider foundational for the Christian faith: namely the Holy Trinity, Incarnation and Resurrection. In any event, antipathy to homosexuality has already ...

En Hakkore

In the hills up behind Ranfurly there used to be a town, Hamilton, which at one stage was home to 5,000 people. All that remains of it now is a graveyard, fenced off and baking in the lonely brown hills. Near it, in the 1930s a large Sanitorium was built for the treatment of tuberculosis and other respiratory ailments. It was a substantial complex of buildings with wards, a nurses hostel, impressive houses for the manager and superintendent and all the utility buildings needed for such a large operation. The treatment offered consisted of isolation, views and weather. Patients were exposed to the air, the tons of it which whistled past, often at great speed, the warmth of the sun and the cold. They were housed in small cubicles opening onto huge glassed verandas where they cooked in the summer and froze in the winter and often, what with the wholesome food and the exercise, got better. When advances in antibiotics rendered the Sanitorium obsolete it was turned into a Borstal and...