We've had the Sydney branch of the family over to stay for the Easter
break. It's been wonderful: Picnic on the beach; breakfast in the
Dunedin sunshine; youngest member of the household establishing, by
divine right and with the rapturous approval of her subjects, an
absolute monarchy for the duration; time enough to pick up my camera for
the first time in weeks; you know, all the usual stuff.
John is just walking the 80 metres back to his bike here, but you get the general drift. The question I get asked more than any other at the end of the Hikoi is "how are your feet?" It's nice that people care, but my feet have never been an issue on long walks. Good shoes and socks prevent blisters and cushion the effects of long distances on hard surfaces, but I have had other issues. When walking the Camino Santiago knees, Achilles tendons and shin splints have all at one time or another given me trouble. This time round, these have all been fine and I finished feeling as though I could just keep on going indefinitely; to Cape Reinga if needs be. Over the last couple of years I have learned 6 things that have made all the difference. Namely: 1. Footwear. On the Camino I wore walking shoes - Salomon in 2009 and Asics in 2012. A year ago I changed to full walking boots - Salomon Cosmic 2 - and the difference was instant and major. When walking more than 15 minutes...










Comments