Skip to main content

Auto Mode

I kind of like this picture, but could understand why others might not. It's a truly automatic shot. My very first digital camera, a Canon Powershot, took this all by itself when it was in the process of dying, a disappointingly short time after purchase.

I was suckered by the tag on a Facebook advertisement: Auto Mode is Killing Your Photography. The link led to a place where I could buy a little ebook (reduced from $97 to just $10 if I bought it now) which appears to give reasonable advice to beginner photographers, which boils down to understanding what your camera is doing and thinking about the pictures you are taking. The tagline got me because it's a sentence I have been repeating to myself for a long time now.

I got serious about photography when I was 18. Over the road from my parent's house was a hippy commune called Chippenham. Walter Logeman lived there, and he had gathered a small group of young guys to whom he was teaching photography. We bought black and white film in large drums and loaded it into old 35mm canisters. Every week we would decide on a subject, 'trees', say, or 'angles' and all go off and shoot a bucket load of frames, develop the film in Walter's dark room,  print off the one or two almost decent shots from the week's effort and gather around the Chippenham fireplace to compare and discuss. Walter hated camera automation with a passion so we all used hand held meters, and studied Ansel Adams' Zone System of photographic exposure. My first camera was a cheap and cheerful East German Praktika, to which could be fitted the lenses and flash guns (Walter didn't have much time for those either) which I could get from the bargain bins of second hand shops.

With simple gear I made a lot of mistakes, and had to think through every shot.  There are only three important settings on a camera: aperture, shutter speed and focus, but for any given amount of light there are several combinations of these which can be used to make a well exposed shot, and before these are made  there are the choices of type of film and the lens to be fitted to the camera body. There are also  the niceties of framing, composing, point of view, and all the things you can do in the darkroom afterwards to get the photo the way you want it. Photography required me to think and be aware of what my eye was seeing, what the camera would do to what I was seeing, and what I actually wanted when I rinsed off the fixer and hung my newly exposed and developed sheet of photographic paper on the line to dry.

The old Praktika was a bit of a dunger really, and didn't last long. It had a series of successors, mostly Canons, each one of which added a little more automation than the last one. Firstly there was a through the lens light meter, then there was the automation of either the choice of aperture, or shutter speed or both. Then there was the automation of focus.  Then came zoom lenses which meant that a change of focal length was easy.  With digital cameras many of the things I used to do in the darkroom happened inside the camera and were automated with ever increasing levels of sophistication.

The cameras grew ever more complex. My first decent camera, a Canon FTb, for example, had 7 controls. and that was it. Looking through the viewfinder looked like this:
My current main camera is a Nikon D7100 and looking through the viewfinder I see this:
As well, the camera has an LCD screen on the back which gives me this information:
and one on the top which looks like this:
The camera has 34 controls. It has 6 connection ports through which I could attach even more controls.  It has a menu system with 6 menus and 82 (yes. Eighty Two!) sub menus. And it allows me to make up three menus of my own if I can't find what I need amongst those. My number 2 camera is actually even more complex. Faced with all that choice, I find myself, increasingly, choosing one of the camera's 11 different automatic modes and letting Mr. Nikon do the thinking for me. The camera does it very well. It usually makes the choices I would have made myself. Technically, the quality of the pictures hasn't dropped much if at all. But I find that I am not thinking about the shots in the way I used to. I raise the camera to my eye and press the shutter button, and I find myself making sloppy errors more and more: things are badly framed and horizons slope. Because I am no longer paying for film, I find myself banging off a dozen shots, (my camera can take 8 in a second) hoping that one of them will get it all right.

This is the malaise of our technological age.The technology allows me to take some nice pictures without much effort. But that's the trouble. They cost me no effort. And  I am not seeing, not engaging with my subject the way I used to; and seeing was pretty much the reason I picked up a camera in the first place.

So thanks, Expert Photography. Your ebook has already been very helpful, even though, I must confess, I probably won't buy it. You're dead right. Auto mode IS killing my photography.  I've set my two DSLR cameras to manual mode, and that's where they're going to stay


Comments

Jill Rapley said…
Expert Photography stuff is pretty good Kelvin - another site I follow is Darren Rouse's http://digital-photography-school.com/ (Darren is an Aussie) - and also creativelive.com (addicting - free sessions while live, which is daily).

I was seriously looking at the D7100 - also the Sony, when someone gave me a Sony Fx3 so it was decided. I love it - especially since it accepts lenses from any other camera (with adapters).

Love your photography Kelvin.

Popular posts from this blog

Camino, by David Whyte

This poem captures it perfectly Camino. The way forward, the way between things, the way already walked before you, the path disappearing and re-appearing even as the ground gave way beneath you, the grief apparent only in the moment of forgetting, then the river, the mountain, the lifting song of the Sky Lark inviting you over the rain filled pass when your legs had given up, and after, it would be dusk and the half-lit villages in evening light; other people's homes glimpsed through lighted windows and inside, other people's lives; your own home you had left crowding your memory as you looked to see a child playing or a mother moving from one side of a room to another, your eyes wet with the keen cold wind of Navarre. But your loss brought you here to walk under one name and one name only, and to find the guise under which all loss can live; remember you were given that name every day along the way, remember you were greeted as such, and you neede

Kindle

 Living as I do in a place where most books have to come a long way in an aeroplane, reading is an expensive addiction, and of course there is always the problem of shelf space. I have about 50 metres of shelving in my new study, but it is already full and there is not a lot of wall space left; and although it is great insulation, what is eventually going to happen to all that paper? I doubt my kids will want to fill their homes with old theological works, so most of my library is eventually going to end up as egg cartons. Ebooks are one solution to book cost and storage issues so I have been  using them for a while now, but their big problem has been finding suitable hardware to read them on.  I first read them on the tiny screens of Ipaqs and they were quite satisfactory but the wretchedness of Microsoft Reader and its somewhat arbitrary copyright protection system killed the experience entirely. On Palm devices they were OK except the plethora of competing and incompatible formats

Ko Tangata Tiriti Ahau

    The Christmas before last our kids gave us Ancestry.com kits. You know the deal: you spit into a test tube, send it over to Ireland, and in a month or so you get a wadge of paper in the mail telling you who you are. I've never, previously, been interested in all that stuff. I knew my forbears came to Aotearoa in the 1850's from Britain but I didn't know from where, exactly. Clemency's results, as it turns out, were pretty interesting. She was born in England, but has ancestors from various European places, and some who are Ngāti Raukawa, so she can whakapapa back to a little marae called Kikopiri, near Ōtaki. And me? It turns out I'm more British than most British people. Apart from a smattering of Norse  - probably the result of some Viking raid in the dim distant past - all my tūpuna seem to have come from a little group of villages in Nottinghamshire.  Now I've been to the UK a few times, and I quite like it, but it's not home: my heart and soul belon

En Hakkore

In the hills up behind Ranfurly there used to be a town, Hamilton, which at one stage was home to 5,000 people. All that remains of it now is a graveyard, fenced off and baking in the lonely brown hills. Near it, in the 1930s a large Sanitorium was built for the treatment of tuberculosis and other respiratory ailments. It was a substantial complex of buildings with wards, a nurses hostel, impressive houses for the manager and superintendent and all the utility buildings needed for such a large operation. The treatment offered consisted of isolation, views and weather. Patients were exposed to the air, the tons of it which whistled past, often at great speed, the warmth of the sun and the cold. They were housed in small cubicles opening onto huge glassed verandas where they cooked in the summer and froze in the winter and often, what with the wholesome food and the exercise, got better. When advances in antibiotics rendered the Sanitorium obsolete it was turned into a Borstal and the

Return to Middle Earth

 We had a flood, a couple of weeks back, and had to move all the stuff out of the spare bedroom, including  the contents of two floor to ceiling book cases. Shoving the long unopened copies of Sartor Resartus and An Introduction to Byron into cartons, I came upon my  copy of The Lord of the Rings . Written in the flyleaf are the dates of its many readings, the last one being when I read it aloud to Catherine, when she was about 10 or 11, well over 20 years ago. The journey across Middle Earth took Catherine and me the best part of a year, except for the evening when we followed Frodo and Sam across the last stretches of Mordor and up Mount Doom, when we simply couldn't stop, and sat up reading until 11.00 pm, on a school night.  My old copy is a paperback, the same edition that every card carrying baby boomer has somewhere on their shelves. The glue has dried and hardened. The cover and many of the pages have come loose. I was overcome with the urge to read it again, but this old