Skip to main content

Books

Bookshelves are great for testing camera lenses. 
This test of a Panasonic point 'n' shoot must have happened when 
Catherine was still at home.

Books. The world's most expensive wallpaper. A door opening into the world. A wall to keep it out.

Perfect insulation - physically, mentally, spiritually.

There are 70 metres of bookshelving in my study, which is quite a bit considering how small the room is, but it's never been enough. Books pile up, the ones I have bought and the ones that other people have bought and given to me because they think I need them. There are books which have changed the way I see the world and therefore changed both me and the world. There are books which have never changed anything except some poor tree somewhere.

I can trace my inner growth from the titles on my shelves. There is Biblical studies from the 70s and theology from the 80s. The books bought in the 90s are all about running churches - how to get people into your pews and how to get them to pay for the privilege; how to run small groups; how to make the church missional, purpose driven, contemporary, a fresh expression, or whatever this month's ecclesiastical cure all catch phrase is. From the new millennia there are books that I actually still want to read: on spirituality; science; consciousness; being; Being. From the last few years there is more and more and more poetry. There are whole shelves given over to things that once mattered a lot to me, but now, not so much: the Myer's Briggs Personality Inventory and the Enneagram and Neuro Linguistic Programming. There are earnest books whose prose I would call leaden except that it would be grossly and unfairly discriminatory to lead. There are some whose words drive me to paroxysms of envy at the author's linguistic skill, take a bow Annie Dillard. There are some which take up treasured space in my heart. There are lots which just take up space.

Yesterday, I ran my fingers over a book which is nearly 6 inches thick: The Anglican Missal. Hardbound in blue cloth, it's a spiritual resource given to me almost 40 years ago by an Anglo Catholic Priest who had once thought it a really good idea but now had no further use for it  and who thought I was a bit too Protestant for my own good.  On the shelf beside it was a theological introduction to the 39 articles, written in the 1920s. Why have I kept these? I took them from their places and placed them on the floor, and looked further, and an hour later my study floor was knee deep in paper and cardboard and cloth and leather. Five cartons full went to the Regent book sale, and still, as I look around at my partially depleted shelves, I can see the need for yet more pruning. Once I thought I was congenitally predisposed to never get rid of a book, but yesterday I felt again the liberating sense of wholeness which comes from breaking  self imposed boundaries.

Comments

BrianR said…
Yes, I am learning to break those boundaries myself - but it is hard after a lifetime of bibliolatry. But if I have not looked at a book in 15 years, I doubt I will in the foreseeable future. I have tried to make a new rule: not to buy a new book unless I will genuinely read, study and use it. On the whole I am keeping to this; no point filling up more space with unread works. But one has to be disciplined and intentional in reading and study, and it helps to have a particular goal in mind: a sermon or a talk to give or an article to write. Or a self-directed goal in learning.
In addition, there is so much free stuff on the internet now that I have read some fine old classics (Boethius, Athanasius, Chesterton etc) for nothing - and without needing any more shelf space.
Kelvin Wright said…
I'm now making the distinction between books I want to read and books I want to have. The ones I want to read I get on Kindle. Those I want to have are nicely bound and/ or aesthetically pleasing and/ or interesting in some way as objects in their own right.

As far as reading material goes I subscribe to BookBub. At least weekly there will be a really good book for a dollar or two
I am impressed you've been able to part with a few chosen books. My own shelves were groaning last summer, so when the painter came to repaint them white, I let go of several books that had been sitting double-deep on my shelves. The ones I am keeping of late are favourites, essays, poetry and theological treasures (some my teachers wrote). Yes, there are a few of those.

Popular posts from this blog

How To Walk 800 km

John is just walking the 80 metres back to his bike here, but you get the general drift.  The question I get asked more than any other at the end of the Hikoi is "how are your feet?" It's nice that people care, but my feet have never been an issue on long walks. Good shoes and socks prevent blisters and cushion the effects of long distances on hard surfaces, but I have had other issues. When walking the Camino Santiago knees, Achilles tendons and shin splints have all at one time or another given me trouble. This time round, these have all been fine and I finished feeling as though I could just keep on going indefinitely; to Cape Reinga if needs be. Over the last couple of years I have learned 6 things that have made all the difference. Namely: 1. Footwear. On the Camino I wore walking shoes - Salomon in 2009 and Asics in 2012. A year ago I changed to full walking boots - Salomon Cosmic 2 - and the difference was instant and major. When walking more than 15 minutes...

Why I Hold the Views I Do

St. Hilda's Collegiate School, taken with my phone after a recent meeting. This picture has nothing whatsoever to do with what follows, but I like the interplay of shapes and particularly the shadow on the wall. My mother is a Methodist, liberal in her theological and social opinions. My father was a socialist, just slightly to the left, in his politics, of Karl Marx. My siblings -there are 5 of us- are all bright, eloquent and omnivorous in their consumption of books and other intellectual fodder.  One of my most cherished childhood memories is of mealtimes in our little state house. The food was ingested with copious amounts of spirited, opinionated, clever and sometimes informed debate on whatever subject happened to catch the attention of one of the family that day. Or whatever one of us thought might get a rise out of someone else. So, sex, politics and religion it was then - oh and motorbikes, economics, international relations, demographics, cricket, company ownersh...

2 More Years

An autumn leaf, the evidence of the death whereby the grapevine lives and bears fruit There are 31,102 verses in the Bible, or at least in the Protestant version of it which the conservative section of our church recognises. Of these, there are 6 verses which explicitly condemn homosexual practice. The best scholars in the Christian world have pointed out the ambiguity of even these scraps of scripture, but this does not prevent their becoming the basis of an antipathy to contemporary same gender sexuality which I was repeatedly told, during General Synod, was "First Order". I'm not sure what "First Order" means exactly, but I was told that this is a "Salvation Matter". So, presumably, holding a proper view on homosexuality is right up there in importance with belief in the doctrines I would consider foundational for the Christian faith: namely the Holy Trinity, Incarnation and Resurrection. In any event, antipathy to homosexuality has already ...

I See Satan Fall Like Lightning

It happens sometimes. I have a question or am pondering some conundrum or other and the right book arrives at pretty much the right time. In a session with my supervisor a few months back Paul mentioned an article by Rene Girard, whom I had never heard of. I read the article and over the past month have read two of his books, The Scapegoat and this one. I have another couple sitting on my shelf and they have elbowed all others in my to be read pile out of the way and sit firmly on the top. Girard has pulled a number of threads together for me: he has enabled me to rethink the atonement in a way which is consistent with an evolving Universe: he presents a view of scripture which is again consistent with what I know of science but is also faithful to the Bible as the Word of God; he has given me, for the first time in my life a theology (if that is the right word) of Satan which makes sense to me. Most importantly for me, he is consistent with my own lived experience of God's s...

En Hakkore

In the hills up behind Ranfurly there used to be a town, Hamilton, which at one stage was home to 5,000 people. All that remains of it now is a graveyard, fenced off and baking in the lonely brown hills. Near it, in the 1930s a large Sanitorium was built for the treatment of tuberculosis and other respiratory ailments. It was a substantial complex of buildings with wards, a nurses hostel, impressive houses for the manager and superintendent and all the utility buildings needed for such a large operation. The treatment offered consisted of isolation, views and weather. Patients were exposed to the air, the tons of it which whistled past, often at great speed, the warmth of the sun and the cold. They were housed in small cubicles opening onto huge glassed verandas where they cooked in the summer and froze in the winter and often, what with the wholesome food and the exercise, got better. When advances in antibiotics rendered the Sanitorium obsolete it was turned into a Borstal and...